The word “detox” usually conjures up mental images of colon hydrotherapy or drinking nasty concoctions. But detoxing does not necessarily mean these things; in fact, they are a stress to your body and could even be harmful!
The key here is to gently detox. In our modern world, we are bombarded daily with toxins and chemicals. To some degree we can control our exposure by using natural cleaning products and eating organically. But since there are many things we cannot control, it’s important to have daily detox practices. Check out this list of 9 ideas you can start implementing today!
1) Oil pulling – I always add one or two drops of essential oils for added benefit. Read all about this at my blog post here!
2) Apple cider vinegar – Before breakfast, I drink a cup of filtered water with 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. You can also do this with fresh lemon juice. I like apple cider vinegar because I’ve noticed that it’s more effective (for me personally) for stimulating stomach acid production, which is essential for properly digesting food.
3) Homemade juice – I own a Breville Juice Extractor and it’s excellent. A great recipe for detoxing is celery, cilantro, and ginger. For a little sweetness, add a small Granny Smith apple.
4) Vitamin supplementation – If our bodies are working properly, we will naturally detox. To encourage this process, possessing proper nutrients is essential. However, make sure that you are using a quality supplement. All are not created equal! Email me if you want to learn more about a supplement pack that also contains highly beneficial essential oils.
5) Essential oils internally – A staple in our household is lemon essential oil water! Simply put a couple drops in a (glass or stainless steel!) water bottle, shake, and drink. Lemon or any citrus oil (orange, grapefruit, lime) binds with petrochemicals in your body and assists the liver in flushing them out. (Important note: do NOT use your typical essential oil from the grocery store internally or even topically! They could be harmful. There’s only one brand of essential oils that I recommend; email me to learn more and receive a free wellness consultation!)
6) Dry brushing – This is one of my newest endeavors. I actually read about it on Hollywood Homestead as I was soaking in a detox bath! Dry brushing stimulates lymphatic flow, which is one of our detoxification pathways. It’s best to do it with a natural bristle brush for 2-10 minutes, right before you bathe.
7) Take a detox bath – I do this about once a week, and some of my favorite substances to use are Epsom salts, sea salt, or Bentonite clay. Check out Wellness Mama for a variety of recipes, and Hollywood Homestead on Bentonite clay baths.
8) Use a shower filter – You might be used to filtering your drinking water, but have you thought about filtering your shower water? Chlorinated, heated water is damaging when inhaled and can also exacerbate skin issues. Chris Kresser has an excellent article delving deeper into this topic. I recently installed a chlorine-filtering shower head and the water even feels better!
9) Essential oils topically – You can rub them directly on the skin with fractionated coconut oil or add them to your detox bath. Two well-known essential oils for detoxing are cilantro (assist in removing heavy metals) and a Detoxification Blend (supportive to the liver’s processes). Simply rub either oil over the liver area or on the bottom of the feet.
Do you incorporate these practices into your daily life? What’s your favorite way to gently detox?
This post contains Amazon affiliate links, which basically means I earn a small commission if you purchase those items through my links (no added cost to you!). These commissions help support the blog and being able to bring free, helpful content to my readers!