I know it’s wintertime by the quality of my skin. It gets so dry when the weather turns colder and I have to make a conscious effort to modify my skin care routine – specifically, how I moisturize.
This season my legs have been insanely itchy and it was driving me nuts! The fragrance-free lotion I’d been using previously was just not doing the trick anymore. I knew I needed something more heavy-duty but didn’t want to turn to something store bought. So I created my own Insanely Moisturizing Body Butter! Unlike store bought lotions, this recipe has very few ingredients, and of course 100% pure essential oils. I’m finding that lavender, peppermint, and rosemary are working splendidly with the moisturizing and emollient properties of shea butter, jojoba oil, and vegetable glycerine. But of course you can use whatever essential oils best work for you and your needs! The beeswax in the recipe is simply to help it have that “buttery,” semi-solid feel.
Are you ready for super silky, non-irritated skin? Then try out the recipe below!
Insanely Moisturizing Body Butter
1/2 cup shea butter
1 T. beeswax (beads are easiest)
1/4 cup jojoba oil
1 T. vegetable glycerine
1/2 t. vitamin E oil
15-25 drops of therapeutic grade essential oils (click here to learn how to get the best oils at the best price!)
Small pan and spoon dedicated to making body products
1) Melt the shea butter on medium-low.
2) Add the beeswax and jojoba oil. Melt the beeswax while constantly stirring to prevent burning.
3) Add the vegetable glycerine and stir.
4) Take the pan off the heat and add the vitamin E oil.
5) Put the pan in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or until it has slightly hardened.
6) After the mixture has slightly hardened, take it out of the fridge and whip it until it’s a thick frosting consistency. If it doesn’t whip, place it back into the fridge until more hardened.
7) Add 15-25 drops of essential oils. For my first batch I used 12 drops lavender, 8 drops of peppermint, and 5 drops of rosemary.*
*Other essential oils that are beneficial for the skin are frankincense, geranium, helichrysum, sandalwood, and myrrh.
I like to keep my homemade body products in glass containers. This recipe makes enough to fill a half-pint Mason jar. My skin is loving this concoction and I hope that yours does too!